Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Salsa Chicken - an easy and healthy dinner

**I was all prepared this past weekend to type up a yummy cookie recipe (I even told a faithful blog reader <@Lindsey> that I was ready to go), but time has just gotten away from me and I have to prepare for some important meetings coming up.  So as not to leave you without anything tasty, I always have a couple of posts waiting in case this happens.  :-)  I hope you enjoy this!  Hopefully next week I will be back with a tasty cookie recipe and some pretty pictures from trips, showers, and other fun stuff that I've been doing lately.  Here's hoping!**

You remember how I told you that my mom doesn't really cook?  Well this is one of the few things she does make, and I love it!  I don't know where she found it, but man is it easy.  Plus, pretty much everyone I have ever given the recipe to has loved it!


Here's what you do: you take ~2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 "jug" of your favorite salsa, and your crock pot and combine together to make the easiest dinner ever.


Put a layer of salsa on the bottom, then place all the chicken breasts next to each other for the next layer, then cover with the rest of the jar of salsa.











Easy as pie salsa chicken!  Set the crock pot on low for about 6-7 hours and leave to cook.  Once it's cooked, take two large forks and shred the chicken.  Now you have salsa chicken! 











I prefer Pace Picante Sauce but I accidentally bought the chunky kind this last time.  It was actually pretty good.  I really think any kind of salsa would be fine.

 
Once you have your salsa chicken, you can really do a lot with it.  I have served it over pasta,


rice, in tacos, on a salad, and I'm sure there are many other things you could do with it.  Since it makes lots of food, I usually freeze some.  I go ahead and put the salsa chicken over cooked pasta in a tupperware container and stick it in the freezer.  That will keep for several months and it's easy to thaw (in the fridge) and microwave.  Done and done!  I hope you like it!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Please remember to be respectful when commenting... Leave the drama for yo momma!